From the book, "Where the Journey Ends."
William and Lucy Slack
William and Lucy Slack homesteaded in the mile north of the Covey Church. William was an ardent supporter of the church and was most likely the first burial in the cemetery. The couple first came to the county in 1869 and lived in a log shanty, building a frame house in 1871.
After William’s death in 1874, Lucy continued to live on the claim with son, Charles, until her death. Lucy served as Sunday School superintendent for many years. Lucy fashioned the first flag (4.5’x 7’) in the county with fabric purchased at W.C. Green’s store in O’Brien Village. It is currently displayed in the courthouse.
Lewis was born in Maryland and moved to Indiana in 1822. They started the journey in a cart but this gave out and they then traveled on horseback and foot. Lewis married Malinda Shaffer in 1840 and they had ten children.
Two of the Clark daughters married and moved to O’Brien County. Malinda passed away in 1897, after which Lewis married her sister Sarah Shaffer Pitsenburger. Sarah died in 1911 and is buried in this cemetery.
Lewis was a farmer and made a good living for himself and his family. He held several local offices. He was President of the Old Settlers Association He was also a noted abolitionist and was a station agent on the underground railway.