POET Laboratory Technician I
POET4970 260th Street 712.724.6604
At POET, it is our mission to be good stewards of the Earth by converting renewable resources to energy and other valuable goods as effectively as humanly possible. For over thirty years our drive and passion to change the world has enabled us to become the largest producer and marketer of bioethanol and leader in bio-based products in the world. Beyond our world-class culture, POET team members enjoy competitive pay and benefits including;
- Attractive Relocation Assistance and Bonus Programs for qualifying positions and/or locations
- Competitive pay, including shift premium pay for qualifying positions
- Quarterly Profit-Sharing Bonuses, and Bi-Annual Incentive Bonuses
- Individual and family plans for health, dental, & vision insurance, including a generous employer Health Savings Account contribution
- Paid Parental Leave
- A multifaceted wellness program encompassing the whole person – mentally, physically, and spiritually
- Onsite fitness centers or fitness reimbursements
- 401K with company match
- Paid time off and paid holidays
- Tuition reimbursement
- Excellent work-life balance with a 'family-first' culture
- Safety and cold weather gear reimbursements
- Discounted home and auto insurance
STRENGTHS OF A SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- Experience requirements:
- Laboratory Technician I: Basic troubleshooting skills and prior analytical experience required.
- Laboratory Technician II: Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Biology, or related science required. May consider POET Laboratory Technician I experience with documented successful performance.
- Prior experience with environmental testing and knowledge of cGMP, PI, QC and PQ reporting preferred.
- Excellent organizational, time management and communications skills as well as the ability to adapt to change.
- You communicate effectively in writing and in person.
- You have the ability to understand technical and day to day operation of a bioprocessing facility.
- You know the basics of Microsoft Office Suite. You’re capable of learning new programs.
At POET we believe in developing our team members to their highest potential and recognizing contributions that add value to the organization. Each new team member’s position and compensation are carefully determined by considering their unique qualifications and skillset.
- Culture is king at POET. We’re all on the same team. We always communicate. And we park our egos at the door. These aren’t just slogans on our walls. It’s the way we do things at POET.
- This position is largely self-directed and requires a thorough understanding of company policy. Team members will be required to adhere to all safety requirements in all work environments. This position operates in multiple work environments, including a plant environment, a laboratory environment, as well as an office environment. In the lab, the team member will work with a range of analytical instrumentation, multiple chemical reagents and perform various wet chemistry tests. In the office, the team member will work on a personal computer. In the plant environment, the team member may be exposed to noise, heat, and other elements both inside and outside. While performing the duties of this position, the team member will be exposed to moving, mechanical parts, dusty conditions, high noise levels, internal and external temperature/weather conditions, and exposed to chemicals.
- Due to the physical and safety sensitive nature of this job, you will be subject to a physical and expected to pass a drug screen during the pre-screen process. During employment, you’ll be subject to random drug and alcohol testing.
- This role has some physical requirements that our team members will need to be able to perform, such as:
- Wearing Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) such as hard hats, gloves, safety glasses, steel-toed boots, self-contained breathing system (may be site specific), hazardous material suit, hearing protection.
- Working at extreme heights (approximately 150 ft), in confined spaces, and in extreme temperatures from -20 to +100 degrees Fahrenheit, both indoors and outdoors.
- Must be able to use the following equipment/tools, with training provided (not all encompassing): forklift, power washer, pallet jack, hoist systems, scissor lifts, JLG lifts, telehandlers, Front End Loaders, various hand tools, and computers.
- Sit in a chair in the Lab
- Carry to up to 15lbs
- Stand indoors to clean and maintain areas
- Reach at arm’s length to gather samples
- Bend while standing
- Use repetitive arm motions to wipe down and maintain work area
- Walk indoors and outdoors sometimes over rough, uneven, or wet/slick surfaces
- Climb stairs and/or ladders
- Be in awkward back, shoulder, wrists, and hand positions
- Bend, twist, turn, kneel, and crouch, while holding light and medium weighted objects
- Since we are all about team work, you may be asked to help other roles that have their own unique set of physical requirements.
POET is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). POET complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws regarding hiring and employment. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or veteran status.
Apply online at POET Laboratory Tech
The Laboratory Technician is responsible for maintaining a clean, professional and safe working environment in the lab at all times. Team members in this position run multiple tests in accordance to the Standard Operation Procedures (SOP), ensure tests are completed in a timely manner and complete tests in a frequency that is established by the Quality Manager. If any testing results are out of range, it is the responsibility of the Laboratory Technician to report this information to the Quality Manager. This position is largely self-directed and requires understanding company policy, procedures and values.
DURING A TYPICAL DAY (IF THERE IS ONE)…
- Maintain a clean, professional and safe working environment in the laboratory.
- Perform quality control tests on product streams.
- Coordinate test results with operators to ensure optimum quality and efficiency.
- Maintain laboratory supplies and provide supply orders to the Quality Manager.
- Perform tests in accordance with approved POET SOP’s and according to the frequency established by the Quality Manager and/or Operations.
- Ensure all data is entered in a timely manner.
- Ensure all Quality Control Standards, duplicates and cross-validations are completed as established by standard operating procedures.
- Perform NIR IT (PQ) testing on a weekly basis and report any test failures to the Quality Manager.
- Notify the Quality Manager when any quality control standards are not within specified limits.
- Work with operations on special testing requests.
- Must be able to meet call-in requirements as well as work extended hours as necessary.
- Foster a culture of safe behavior and environmental compliance at all times.
- Maintain a team environment at all times and champion POET in the community.
- Since we’re all about teamwork and getting the job done, your skill may be put to a lot of other uses!