POET Shift Supervisor
POET4970 26th Street, Ashton, IA 51232 712.724.6604
At POET, it is our mission to be good stewards of the Earth by converting renewable resources to energy and other valuable goods as effectively as humanly possible. For over thirty years our drive and passion to change the world has enabled us to become the largest producer and marketer of bioethanol and leader in bio-based products in the world. Beyond our world-class culture, POET team members enjoy competitive pay and benefits including;
- Attractive Relocation Assistance and Bonus Programs for qualifying positions and/or locations
- Competitive pay, including shift premium pay for qualifying positions
- Quarterly Profit-Sharing Bonuses, and Bi-Annual Incentive Bonuses
- Individual and family plans for health, dental, & vision insurance, including a generous employer Health Savings Account contribution
- Paid Parental Leave
- A multifaceted wellness program encompassing the whole person – mentally, physically, and spiritually
- Onsite fitness centers or fitness reimbursements
- 401K with company match
- Paid time off and paid holidays
- Tuition reimbursement
- Excellent work-life balance with a 'family-first' culture
- Safety and cold weather gear reimbursements
- Discounted home and auto insurance
STRENGTHS OF A SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE
- High school diploma or equivalent required; secondary education preferred.
- Production or operational experience is required; operational background in ethanol production is preferred.
- 3 years of previous supervisory or leadership experience preferred.
- Excellent organizational, time management, and communication skills as well as the ability to embrace change.
- You know the basics of Microsoft Office Suite. You’re capable of learning new programs.
At POET we believe in developing our team members to their highest potential and recognizing contributions that add value to the organization. Each new team member’s position and compensation are carefully determined by considering their unique qualifications and skillset.
- Culture is king at POET. We’re all on the same team. We always communicate. And we park our egos at the door. These aren’t just slogans on our walls. It’s the way we do things at POET.
- This position is largely self-directed and requires a thorough understanding of company policy, procedures, and values. Team members will be required to adhere to all safety requirements at all times and in all work environments. This position is exposed to work in multiple environments, including plant, laboratory, as well as an office environment. The team member may be exposed to high noise levels, moving mechanical parts, dusty conditions, internal and external temperature/weather conditions, and chemicals.
- Specific physical requirements may include:
- Occasionally lifting weight up to sixty (60) pounds.
- Climbing several flights of stairs and ladders.
- Opening valves.
- Occasionally bending, twisting and turning while lifting weight of less than fifty (50) pounds.
- Data entry while seated for greater than one (1) hour.
- Walking up to two (2) or more miles per day.
- Pushing brooms, shovels, etc.
- Working at heights, in confined spaces and at temperatures from -20 to +100 degrees.
- Standing for extended periods of time.
- Wearing Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Using hand and power tools.
POET is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). POET complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws regarding hiring and employment. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or veteran status.
Apply online at https://www.poet.com/careers/
The Shift Supervisor is responsible for the supervision of the Plant Technicians and for creating a positive work environment. Team members in this position strive for maximum efficiency in plant operations and support operations through problem solving, adaptation, and working with other departments to correct process problems. The Shift Supervisor plans, directs, and coordinates the operations of the bioprocessing facility by implementing changes as necessary. Team members in this position are also responsible for optimizing plant runtime as well as downtime while ensuring a quality end product.
POET bioprocessing facilities operate on a 24-hour continuous schedule which requires Shift Supervisors to work a 12-hour shift schedule (including, nights, weekends, and holidays) alongside their assigned team. Team member must be available as needed.
DURING A TYPICAL DAY (IF THERE IS ONE)…
- Supervise plant operations on shift.
- Influence and support execution of plant maintenance as developed by the Maintenance Manager.
- Assure all daily documentation and required process information is completed in a timely and accurate manner.
- Make process decisions including shutting plant down if necessary.
- Contact the appropriate department manager with problems/concerns; call in additional team members if needed.
- Maintain and operate all processes associated with the plant including boilers, cooling towers, and water chemistry.
- Develop an understanding of repair and maintenance of plant equipment and may need to ensure documentation of all maintenance activities.
- Understand basic electrical troubleshooting.
- Strive for maximum efficiency in plant operations, trouble shoot and work with all departments to correct process problems.
- Learn and operate the DCS (computer control system) and other processes associated with the plant operations.
- Update SOP’s and train personnel for procedure changes and plant modifications.
- Respond to collected data and make adjustments to optimize plant operation. Do quality controls tests on product streams and make necessary adjustments.
- Perform or supervise the removal, installation, rebuilding, lubrication, and cleaning of all equipment associated with plant processes.
- Perform or supervise preventative and proactive maintenance tasks in a safe and efficient manner.
- Coordinate effective communication during shift exchange to ensure safe, efficient and continuous plant operation.
- Operate forklift as necessary. Monitor safe forklift operations on a regular basis.
- Assure all products manufactured meet established specifications.
- Assure compliance with all company, State and Federal regulatory agencies policies and rules; assist in implementing approved changes.
- Effectively manage your team by partnering with plant leadership to recruit, select, orient, and train team members. Leadership responsibilities also include delegation, coaching and performance management and career development to effectively execute departmental strategies and support company objectives.
- Foster a culture of safe behavior and environmental compliance at all times.
- Maintain a team environment at all times and champion POET in the community.
- Since we’re all about teamwork and getting the job done, your skill may be put to a lot of other uses!